Flatfeet is usually a painless condition. However, it can cause pain in some cases and result in issues with the knees and ankles. Therefore, it is crucial to treat flatfeet if this condition causes discomfort.
Flat feet treatment
If a patient doesn’t have pain or other symptoms, there is no need for any treatment of flatfeet. For other cases, treatment options include therapies and surgery.
Flat feet therapy
Some people have pain associated with flatfeet. For these individuals, the doctor may recommend the following treatments:
- Orthotics: Arch supports can be purchased over-the-counter and sometimes help provide pain relief associated with flat feet. In other cases, special supports are custom-made and fit the unique shape of a patient’s foot. These supports are not a cure for flat feet, but they can help relieve the painful symptoms in some cases.
- Stretching: A shortened tendon can complicate flatfeet and make the condition painful. Exercises to stretch the Achilles tendon can sometimes help people with flatfeet.
- Proper shoes: Shoes that provide adequate support may help relieve the pain of flat feet.
Flat feet surgery
Some people with flat feet may require surgery to repair a ruptured or torn tendon. However, this procedure is not done solely to correct flat feet.
Helpful advice and home remedies
If you have flatfeet and have pain related to this condition, some home remedies and changes in your lifestyle may help. They include:
- Rest: Avoid high-impact activities like jogging or jumping. These can aggravate flatfeet. Low-impact activities like swimming, walking, or biking are great for keeping you active while being gentle on your feet and tendons.
- Arch supports: You may want to try over-the-counter arch supports to see if they help your pain and reduce the discomfort caused by flatfeet.
- Medications: Over-the-counter pain medications like acetaminophen or ibuprofen may help.
- Maintain a healthy weight: Excess weight adds stress to your feet. Keeping your weight under control may help relieve the pain of flat feet.